Tuesday, January 22, 2008

No more UC-Merced announcements spam

Hooray! For non-UC-Merced people, who do not know the joys of getting emails from announcements@ucmerced.edu, then I should explain. Someone or some committee at UC-Merced decided that it would be important for everyone else in the community to get important announcements about the goings on on campus. These important announcements take up 31 of the 77 emails (40%) that I have received since mid-Dec. when I had to clear my UC-Merced account due to being close to going over my limit of email space. By the way, graduate students are permitted to use no more than 25MB of space on UC-Merced's email client.

From the spam (or I mean email) I received this morning:

"The Office of Communications and IT are pleased to announce the new UC Merced Happenings channel on the MyUCMerced channel that will help reduce unsolicited e-mails while also enabling event owners to reach targeted audiences on campus more effectively."

Please post some examples in the comments if you have some good ones. As I wrote above I deleted most of my old mail, but here are three examples of important ucm announcements spam paraphrased to maintain their hilarity:

1. Pacific Gas & Electric and facilities management will be working together to relocate the gas service meter on Dec. 19th. (Do they need my help?)

2. HAZARD ALERT - A metal panel has blown off the library building. HEADS UP!

3. "As part of the ongoing work for Sierra Terraces and Dining Expansion, the following lanes will be closed on Tuesday, January 15th from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.:

The Eastbound Lane of Ranchers Road between Bobcat Lane and Muir Pass
The Westbound Lane of Scholars Lane between Muir Pass and The Dining Commons"

Oh well I guess I'll just off road it on the peach pits, well actually that is the road.

3 Comments:

Blogger Candace said...

UCM announcements can be fun but they can also be serious

12:38 PM

 
Blogger Ray said...

PS. I forgot to mention that I received the email that I would not be getting spammed anymore twice.

7:14 AM

 
Blogger Adamclarewho said...

"Do they need my help?"

You are freaking hilarious, Ray.

5:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home